Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Our Trip to Indiana

(Sorry, boring post with no pictures.)

After a long, stressful December month of praying (and let's be truthful, worrying) Chad and I decided that he should apply and interview for an opening in Indianapolis, Indiana effective in February. It's a great opportunity for his career and it is a job that is very appealing to Chad. (don't ask me to explain the job.. not even sure myself... :) but it's something that he's excited about.) It will let him bring out his inner dork and work with numbers all day.

The interview was Monday so we packed up the ole family mini van and headed north on Saturday. The drive up was great thanks to the portable DVD player that my mom and dad purchased for us for Christmas. Parker loved watching "monies" during the trip. He looked like a little DJ back there with his orange headphones.

The drive is pretty easy. You simply take 65 north until you get to Indianapolis. It took us about 6 1/2 hours. We arrived at our hotel and had to quickly change clothes and get cleaned up. A guy that Chad would possibly work with if he gets the new job, invited us over to his house for dinner. He and his wife Kelly, have a beautiful home. Their two kids were really sweet and Parker enjoyed playing with them, however; he was very clingy to me. I think that he was just nervous.... Let's be honest.. I was also nervous. Going into someone's home that you do not know can be scary, especially with a child who is known to throw fits during dinner because he won't eat....

But we survived and had a nice time. We were pretty tired after dinner and just headed back to the hotel. Sunday we spent the day in the car again driving around north of the city exploring neighborhoods. Most Lily employees live North of the city so we had to check it out. It really is a very nice area. We met with another Lily employee at Starbucks and she gave us some great tips about the area.. Super nice of her to do that on a Sunday afternoon.

Monday was the big day. Chad was nervous but tried not to show it. He headed off to the interview pretty early. He had 3 meetings with 3 different people at 9, 10, and 11. The interview with Jim, the hiring manager was at 12:30. Parker and I headed to the mall during this time to shop, well. I wish.. Parker isn't one much for shopping anymore. The only purchases made were to Chick Fil A and the candy store for a big bag of sour patch kids.... Sugar helps me deal with stress, ok?? don't judge.

We headed back to the hotel to wait for Chad and I decided to give Parker a bath. (We skipped the night before.) He slipped and poor thing, busted his chin on the side of the tub. Blood everywhere... Thankfully all was well after a few marshmallows...

Chad felt great about the meetings and the interview and I couldn't be MORE PROUD OF HIM! Jim, the manager, felt like we should leave town early. We were scheduled to leave Tuesday morning but a big snow storm was hitting the area that night so we repacked our bags (I didn't mention earlier but we had to change hotels the first two night, ugh.. very annoying) and headed out. Of course, FB was blowing up with pictures and posts about the beautiful snow at home. We were worried about the roads.

We drove to a town north of Nashville and decided to stop. It was dark at that point and we decided not to take any chances...We stopped. Ate some grub and found a hotel, just in time to yell WAR EAGLE!!! I was ready to be home but we felt we made the best decision to stop. We got a room with two beds and I slept in one and Chad and Parker slept in the other...

At 3:45 AM I sit STRAIGHT up in bed when I hear a loud thump, immediately followed by screams. Parker had rolled all the way down tot he foot of the bed and rolled onto the floor. Poor thing! He was SCREAMING.. I think that it scared him to death... I didn't go back to sleep for at least an hour because my heart was racing so fast... Poor thing.. He had had a rough day.

We left town at 9 am to head for home, FINALLY. We stopped by Chad's parents house in Athens to say hello quickly and get back on the road... We were in Clements and Chad said... "Oh no, we are losing air in my right tire."Great, just great. It's FREEZING outside and we have a flat.... ON a brand new tire...

We sit on the side of the road for about an hour.. (We did have some quick company from Jim Manchester though:) My mom drove from Florence to get me and Parker and Chad went with the tow truck, or Mater as Parker would say... After we complained for awhile we realized how blessed we were that it didn't happen on the interstate in Indiana. That would've bee awful.

Thankfully, we made it home to the winter wonderland everyone was talking about. It's beautiful.

We are waiting to hear a response from Jim, the hiring manager. Hopefully soon. If he gets the job, he will begin sometime in February. Parker and I are going to stay back and take care of the house.. We will put it on the market soon after. If he is hired, he will try to compute back and forth when possible.

Prayers for our family are welcome. :) It's a big transition but we trust and know that God will lead us in the direction that is best for our family.

2 comments:

Melodie said...

I knew most of this but it was still nice to read it again. I'm sure Chad did perfectly on the interview. You know my feelings about it. I hope he gets it but I don't want you to go! I'm serious...that would be hard! I know God is leading though!

Julie Young said...

Good luck with everything. We are thinking about you guys. Congrats to Chad on doing a good job!