Saturday, December 18, 2010

Run, eat cookies..... Run, eat cookies....

First off, let me begin by saying, that I am not writing this to boast or brag... I am simply thankful to God for giving me legs and a body that are able to run. It's amazing what our bodies can do. I always said that I wanted to complete a 1/2 marathon by the age of 30. I made that goal years ago before I even began running. I realized at the gym on Thursday that I only had a few days left of life as a 30 year old, since I turn 31 on Monday. :(

I made the decision to go for it. I went into it with low expectations because I have not trained to be able to run that far yet. The half marathon that I am training for now is not until February. The longest run that I have completed in the last three months was only 7 miles. I ran the first 6 miles at a nice pace but needed to take a potty break. So I took a 5 minute pit stop at the house. I convinced Chad to ride his bike with me for a bit to get me motivated again. He hung around for about a mile and a half and he headed home.

The run was going well until mile 10.....

I just hit a wall. My ankles started hurting and my knees were screaming at me. I kept thinking, "I've done this much. I can't stop now." I did have to stop and walk some during the last three miles. They were really difficult.

BUT... I finished... 13.1 miles... I ran a half marathon except there were no cheering fans (except Chad) and no medal... The ONLY way I was able to do this was with God's strength during the run. I was praying often for help...

I have been running alot lately but I have also been eating...

Eating alot.... The holidays are going to kill me....




Parker and I made sugar cookies and decorated them on Wednesday. The weather was nasty outside so we just stayed in and basically ate cookies all day.
Isn't this cute! I love this new smiles he's been giving me....



4 comments:

Melodie said...

Julie, that is so super impressive. I can't believe you were able to do that! That is awesome. You can definitely brag about that to me! Cute pics of Parker too!

Katy said...

I am VERY proud of you! Way to go!

Stephanie Trapp said...

Wow...that's awesome, Julie! Way to go!

Julie Young said...

That is awesome Jules! I say brag all you want! I would!