Thursday, April 8, 2010

Yes mam..

When did I become old enough to be referred to as "Mam" by a college student.

I was going to pick up Parker yesterday at Mrs. Jackie's and her husband has a lawn care business that he does on the side. He has a college guy that helps him and I noticed that the guy had on a Sigma Chi tee-shirt...I decided to be "cool" and strike up a conversation..

Me: "I noticed your Sigma Chi t-shirt. Are you a Sigma Chi at UNA?"
Him: "yes, mam."
Me: "Oh, please don't say yes mam to me. I promise that I am not that much older than you. I love Sigma Chi because my husband was president of Sigma Chi at UNA. It's a great chapter."
Him: "yes mam it is."

I was thinking....Didn't I just say, don't say mam to me????? I then went on my merry way but I couldn't help but think about it. I guess that I really am "that much" older than he is. Actually, I am probably at least 10 years older than he is....It's just that I feel like I should still be a college student or at least close enough to "kinda look like I just got out." :) It seems like yesterday that I lived on Spring Street with my roomies...staying up late, midnight runs to Wal-Mart, and proudly sporting my Alpha Gam letters....Our only care in the world was who to ask to formal and what to wear...

I need to quit fooling myself and just accept that he was a kind, well mannered young man that was just doing the right thing by saying "Yes mam." He didn't do it because I look old and 30, he was just being polite...

(At least, that is what I am going to tell myself anyway!)
I still look like I'm in college, right??? ha ha!

5 comments:

Lamm said...

Julie--the boy you're referring to is one of my brother's best friends, Reece. He is one of the sweetest, most polite boys! If it makes you feel any better, he even calls me ma'am and I've known him forever! And you know you don't look a day over 21! :)

Julie Greenhaw said...

Ashley, he was precious...Very sweet, and well mannered...I just laughed as I walked away... :)

Julie Greenhaw said...

Ashley, don't say anything to him about it. He was so sweet. I don't want him to feel bad...It was just one of those moments where reality set in and I realized that I was 30!

Lamm said...

Haha! I won't! :) I still flip a bit when I realize I'm going to be a mom of two in three months! :) Can't wait, but still can't believe I'm old enough to do so!

Jim said...

You're 30? I thought you were about 24...