Thursday, October 22, 2009

Parker's first major sickness!

We made it to 10 months without any major sickness so I guess I should be thankful for that. Up until this point, we had only dealt with snot and coughing. So here's what happened...

Tuesday was a normal day at work and Chad worked Florence so he finished early and got home by 3:30. Since it was so pretty, we decided to take Parker to the St. Florien (how do you spell it, Help me Krista!) park. We played for awhile and also invited Krista, Julianna, and Max to play with us! Bless their hearts, at the time they didn't know they were walking into a germ factory!

We then went down the street to the house where they sell the mums and pumpkins. They have GREAT mums by the way and they are pretty cheap. We came home and decided to go for a walk. parker always LOVES to get in the stroller and walk around the neighborhood. He fussed the entire time which is so unlike him. We didn't think much of it and came in and did the normal bath and bottle routine. As I put him to sleep, I thought that he felt hot but I decided against taking his temperature. This was around 7:30. At 10:00 he woke up soooo fussy. He is the kind that once you lay him down, He is OUT for the rest of night. (Thank the good Lord.)

He still felt hot so I took his temp and it was almost 102. Oh my goodness. I freaked out! It was his first fever. I tried to work out child care for him for the following day but in the end, I decided to stay home and love my baby. He ran a fever all day but he still ate and played. Around 6, Chad called and his car broke down in Rogersville, (That's a whole other blog in itself) so as I was leaving to go get him, I noticed the sores on the palms of his hands and on the bottom of his feet.

My poor baby has Hand, Foot, Mouth. It just sounds awful, doesn't it?? He isn't wanting to drink much because his throat is sore. We called the doctor and they said not to bring him in because there is not much they can do. We just have to wait it out. My poor baby. I had to go back to work today (because it takes an Act of Congress for a teacher to take off work!). Chad's dad drove over from Athens to keep him and when I got home, he was scorching!! His fever has been up all day long!

I want to stay home with him again so bad tomorrow but Chad's mom has taken off work and she is going to keep him. It just BREAKS my heart not to be with him when he is sick. I know that all of the moms who work out of the home understand!

It can take up to a week to run it's course so hopefully by Monday he will be well enough to go back to Mrs. Jackie's.If not, my mom is already on standby.

It is just awful as a mom to watch your child hurt and feel bad.... Oh and there will be many more times like these ahead...

6 comments:

Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meredith said...

Sorry...I posted this once before I noticed a couple of typos, and I can't stand that, so I'm going to try it again! Macy had that when she was little. It's pitiful...and the bad thing is that there's nothing they can do about it. I don't remember her having it as bad as it sounds like Parker has had it. Hope he's well very soon. Oh, and it's St. Florian, by the way! I don't now why we pronounce it St. Floreen!! :)

Julie Greenhaw said...

Thank you Meredith. I knew that it didn't look right the way I was spelling it but I couldn't figure it out!

Julie Y. said...

Bless his heart! We are approaching this wonderful winter season of sickness!

Brooklyn said...

Hope he's better...that's a loooong time to have a fever. We were sick too and bummed about missing the Pumpkin Patch. Maybe next year!!

The Bordens said...

Hey,
Holley Ann has just got over that. She ran a 102 temp. for 2 days