Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tears are streaming down my face as I write this post. I have just calmed down from the "ugly cry." I just watched the entire episode of the show 16 and Pregnant on MTV. I have watched a few episodes of the show over the past few weeks and I didn't really know what to think of it however tonight an episode just aired that has deeply touched my heart. A sweet little 16 year old couple got pregnant with a baby girl. They both came from dysfunctional families and knew that they would not be able to care for a child. During the pregnancy, they decided to give the baby up for adoption.

They got to choose the couple that would take their daughter. First of all, what a task that would be. Choosing the parents for your child! I can't imagine how difficult that would be. But what really touched my heart tonight was the couple that was chosen to adopt the baby. They were a couple that would be our friends. They were young, cute, energetic and were desperatly wanted a child. They said that they had been trying for a few years and they just weren't able to conceive.

As they were sharing their story and their desperation for a child, I could not contain my tears. That could have been us! We could still be trying, going to the fertility doctor, hoping and praying for a child of our own. Adoption is a wonderful thing but it was always so hard when people knew that we were trying and not getting pregnant and they would say, "You can always adopt." It's so much greater than that. Yes, adoption is wonderful but when your heart YEARNS for the love of your own child, that option just does not seem enough. The show filmed the time that the birth parents had with their baby girl and when they handed her to her new parents. It's so ironic because two people are filled with such sorrow while the other two are filled with joy. Their prayers are being answered!

Now being blessed with Parker makes me realize even more what a true blessing a child is. The Lord has been so good to me and Chad. He heard our hearts desire for a child of our own. Each day I pray that I will always be thankful for what He has blessed us with.

5 comments:

The Bowerman Blog said...

What a blessing! God is faithful. Love that post, what an encouragement to me!

Ivy said...

Hey Julie. I had to comment, I watched that episode too. I cried a little myself, but because there is no way I could ever give up a child of mine. I look at my kids, and I am filled with so much love for them. I don't know what I'd do without them. I'm so happy that Parker is in your lives. I hope he and Cody can grow up to be friends just like their daddys.

Melodie said...

You are always so good at being thankful and grateful! Parker is a blessing and I'm so thankful he is in your life!

Brooklyn said...

I am so thankful to God that you have Parker in your family! You are a beautiful person and an encouragement to me! Love you!

The Penter Family said...

Hey. I am just now seeing this post. I watched that episode too. It was very difficult for me to watch. I can NOT imagie giving a child up like that. I was very proud of those kids for making that choice... especially without the support of their disfunctional family. It really makes me thankful to have Colton and reminds me what a gift from God he truly is!