Friday, July 10, 2009

I completed my first 5K!

I had butterflies in my stomach all day in anticipation of tonight. Cara and I ran our first 5K race. A 5K is 3.2 miles and the race was down at McFarland Park with the proceeds going to St. Jude research hospital. There was a big crowd which was a little intimidating. Our strategy was to start in the back of the pack so we wouldn't start out at a faster pace than we were used to. Some people are crazy! The winner of the race ran it in like 17 minutes! I can't even imagine running that fast! We  hit the mile marker at 10:15 so we were staying on track to our normal pace. 

I was worried about my hip before the race but surprisingly it didn't really bother me during the race. It is pretty sore now but I am just resting. I forgot my camera but Cara brought hers so I will try to get some pictures to post! I am proud of myself because we just started running about 6-7 weeks ago. I am going to take a little time off, doctor's orders, but I hope to run in the Outback run July 25th. 

My goal was to finish and hopefully finish under 40:00 which I was able to do! Who knows, maybe I can get Chad to run with me next time! 

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Congratulations!! What a HUGE accomplishment! I hope your hip gets better and you continue doing well with the running!

Julie Greenhaw said...

Thanks Ashley!

Julie Y. said...

Yea Jules!!! So glad ya'll made it!! Jud wants us to do that soon. :) I guess me and Chad better get to running!

The Bowerman Blog said...

That is awesome! I use to run in 5K's back in college and I want so badly to get back into it! I would love to do half marathon some day!