Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Got me a bum hip!

WARNING: This might be  a little to much info for my male readers ..consider yourself warned...

As I have previously written, I have been running every other day now for about six weeks. Cara and I are really sticking to our commitment to run together. We are meeting at 5:45 am at my house and running 3 miles. It takes us about thirty minutes which is slow but hey, at least we can finish!

However, it's not all roses...About two weeks ago I noticed that my left hip was hurting and every time I ran  the pain became more intense. It is shooting pain in my left hip but I just kept running through the pain. Last week I took two days off hoping that it would feel better but when I ran Monday morning, it quickly returned. It's also causing me trouble when walking and going up stairs is difficult, especially when I am carrying Parker. 

I decided that it was time to make an appointment so I called the Bone and Joint clinic last week and they said I could come in today. So I just kept on running through the pain and I went to the doctor this afternoon. (I got to leave AMSTI a little early, YEA!) First of all, that office is HUGE and it was PACKED with people in the waiting room. I was so mad at myself for forgetting my book. (I am now addicted to the vampires!) I waited out in the waiting room for about an hour. When they finally called me back they took  me immediately to the Xray room. They did xrays and then had me wait in another waiting room. Two hours after I arrived, I went to a room to wait on Dr. Goodman. The nurse came in (and MEN-this is where you need to be warned) told me to strip down to my undies...ok, so I immediately think, 'What underwear did I wear this morning?" I had no idea that I would have to strip down...So I am sitting on the table in my undies wrapped in the warm soft paper towel wrap waiting for the doctor. 

I had never met him and in walks this pretty young guy. I was so embarrassed because I was NOT in underwear that I would want to stand in front of a man I did know. So he tells me to get off the table and stand up on the floor. He has me do all of these wierd stretches and poses....Remind you...I am still in my underwear....His hands are all over my legs and hip...SO AWQARD! He then tells me to lay on the table and he moves my leg just about up to my head as I lay there. He keeps asking, "Does this hurt?" "Does this hurt?" and all I could concentrate on is, "I am basically doing the splits in my panties!!"" 

(He was a very profession doctor and very nice, it was just awkard.)

He finishes and tells me to cover up with the lovely paper wrap. He looks at my Xrays and he says that he can't see a stress fracture but he is worried that might be the problem. He tells me I need to stop running immediately. I then tell him why this is not possible. Cara and I had planned to run the St. Jude 5K run Friday night. I had been working so hard to prepare for it and I wanted to complete my goal. We argue a bit and he says that I can run but he said I would need a shot in my hip to help with the pain. By the way, that shot was AWFUL. It hurt like crazy! It's a thick medicine and it seemed to take forever to go in my hip. He said that he is hoping that it is bercidis..(have no idea how to spell that). After Friday night, he asked me to stop running for two weeks and then I will come in for a follow up appointment. Hopefully it will be healed up by then but if not, he wants to do an MRI. 

I left the office about three hours ago and it is still hurting but the pain is not so bad so hopefully it's not the fracture....

MORAL of the story: Always wear cute but COVERING underwear if you go to the bone and joint clinic for a hip injury!! 

5 comments:

Katy said...

That is freaking hilarious! I kept picturing you with your ankles basically behind your head. I know those ugly panties you (and I) wear!!

Kayla said...

That is hilarious!!!!!!!!! I have the funniest mental images, lol! Hope your hip feels better soon:)

Kimberly said...

Oh my goodness! I would have been mortified! I can just picture you in this situation.

Scarlett said...

So sorry Julie........but that story was pretty funny! John's mom has had bursitis of the butt---so it could be more embarassing! HA! Hope you feel better soon! Don't push yourself too hard. Oh, and go see Cary Burnley----he can really help with bursitis.

Melodie said...

Julie, that is hilarious! I'll remember that next time I go to the doctor. My mom has bursitis in her leg and she has lots of trouble and pain when walking and makes crazy popping noises when she walks. She has to get the cortizone shots and takes some sort of medicine for it too. I hope it gets better!