Monday, April 27, 2009
Back to the world of a Green Frog!
Well, the time has come. As of Monday, my maternity leave will officially end and I will be going back to work. I will be back in charge of Mrs. Greenhaw's Green Frogs classroom. I have mixed feelings about going back to work. I can't imagine being away from Parker for an entire day yet I am looking forward to getting back into my classroom and spending time with my co-workers. I have only been away from him for a few hours at a time. I am sure that I will leave EXTREMELY long notes for the family members who are keeping him each day. They will surely roll their eyes but it will make me feel better. If only I could take him to work with me everyday. (like I would really be able to get anything done!)
Since I was a little girl and my granddad was the principal at Forest Hills, I have wanted to be a teacher. I never questioned my life calling. Teaching was it. But now, as I debate if it's worth leaving my sweet miracle baby every day, I need to remind myself what I love about teaching so I thought I would make a list.
The reasons I love being a Teacher:
1. I love getting my room ready to begin the school year. Most teachers hate this but I love the excitement of a new year. (Of course, exhaustion sets in quickly and I am wishing for summer by September!)
2. The smiles on the students faces in the morning are priceless. It's a little corny to say but children are so happy and now matter how you feel, they love you and are thrilled to see you in the morning.
3. I love organizing things. Nothing makes me happier than printing labels for file folders or organizing my cabinets. I love thinking of new ways to arrange my room and organize. I have to have a neat and tidy classroom. Clutter stresses me out!
4. Reading is my favorite subject to teach and I love watching my students learn to read. Every day they build more confidence and by the end of the year they are reading everything!
5. I love eating lunch at 10:15 in the morning. (not really!)
6. Learning new strategies and trying them in my classroom is very exciting to me. Most teachers don't like change but I think trying new things is fabulous!
7. I love teaching at Forest Hills. We have a fab administration and they are so sweet and kind. They make our work place so happy!
8. I love that we have a summer break, although the summer is shorter and shorter, I am grateful that we do get that time off. Now that I have a child, I will really cherish that time with him.
9. I love that I have the chance to make a difference in a child's life. I know that most kids won't remember me when they get older, but I hope that I can show them love and support everyday they are in my care.
As I get ready to transition back into being a teacher, I just wanted to remind myself of why I walk into the classroom each day. Teaching is not always wonderful. Many days are very hard, exhausting, and thankless but the rewards outweigh the frustrations. I am torn about being away from Parker but I hope that one day he is able to find a job that he loves and is passionate about and he will then understand.
Kindergarten: Here I come! Bring on the germ killer!