Monday, April 27, 2009
Well, the time has come. As of Monday, my maternity leave will officially end and I will be going back to work. I will be back in charge of Mrs. Greenhaw's Green Frogs classroom. I have mixed feelings about going back to work. I can't imagine being away from Parker for an entire day yet I am looking forward to getting back into my classroom and spending time with my co-workers. I have only been away from him for a few hours at a time. I am sure that I will leave EXTREMELY long notes for the family members who are keeping him each day. They will surely roll their eyes but it will make me feel better. If only I could take him to work with me everyday. (like I would really be able to get anything done!)
Since I was a little girl and my granddad was the principal at Forest Hills, I have wanted to be a teacher. I never questioned my life calling. Teaching was it. But now, as I debate if it's worth leaving my sweet miracle baby every day, I need to remind myself what I love about teaching so I thought I would make a list.
The reasons I love being a Teacher:
1. I love getting my room ready to begin the school year. Most teachers hate this but I love the excitement of a new year. (Of course, exhaustion sets in quickly and I am wishing for summer by September!)
2. The smiles on the students faces in the morning are priceless. It's a little corny to say but children are so happy and now matter how you feel, they love you and are thrilled to see you in the morning.
3. I love organizing things. Nothing makes me happier than printing labels for file folders or organizing my cabinets. I love thinking of new ways to arrange my room and organize. I have to have a neat and tidy classroom. Clutter stresses me out!
4. Reading is my favorite subject to teach and I love watching my students learn to read. Every day they build more confidence and by the end of the year they are reading everything!
5. I love eating lunch at 10:15 in the morning. (not really!)
6. Learning new strategies and trying them in my classroom is very exciting to me. Most teachers don't like change but I think trying new things is fabulous!
7. I love teaching at Forest Hills. We have a fab administration and they are so sweet and kind. They make our work place so happy!
8. I love that we have a summer break, although the summer is shorter and shorter, I am grateful that we do get that time off. Now that I have a child, I will really cherish that time with him.
9. I love that I have the chance to make a difference in a child's life. I know that most kids won't remember me when they get older, but I hope that I can show them love and support everyday they are in my care.
As I get ready to transition back into being a teacher, I just wanted to remind myself of why I walk into the classroom each day. Teaching is not always wonderful. Many days are very hard, exhausting, and thankless but the rewards outweigh the frustrations. I am torn about being away from Parker but I hope that one day he is able to find a job that he loves and is passionate about and he will then understand.
Kindergarten: Here I come! Bring on the germ killer!
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Parker's first Easter was lots of fun although Chad and I were worn out at the end of the day. We got up and went to early church and class. We flew home and grabbed a few extra things for Parker and we headed to Athens to make the family rounds. It was great to see everyone. By the end of the day, Parker was fussy because he was so tired!
Such a sweet little smile!
Parker and all of the cousins: Parker, Carrington, Johnson and Allye
Parker and his Easter basket from his Mimi! He was ready to eat and not really into his presents!
Parker and his daddy before church
Parker and mommy!
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
We went to Infants and Children's yesterday for Parker's four month checkup. Chad and I thought he weighed about 17 or 18 pounds because we weighed him on our scale at home and my mom and dad's scale, but we were wrong. He weighs 16.3 pounds and he's 25 1/2 inches long.
He's in the 80th percentile for weight and the 75th for height! He's a big boy! The doctor told us to start rice cereal and we did but Parker doesn't seem to like it at all. Any suggestions??
He ran a fever last night and today from his shots. Bless his little heart! He took a 3 1/2 hour nap today and he NEVER naps that long! He is also teething. I am going to get the teething tablets tomorrow because so many people have recommended them to me. He gets mad because he tries to put his entire fist in his mouth and he just can't get it to fit.
I am really starting to get upset about going back to work. Today as I rocked him to sleep, I cried because I can't imagine anyone but me (or Chad of course) holding him when he's not feeling well. I just can't imagine being away from him all day. I know that moms do it all the time and the children are fine, but it breaks my heart to think about it. He is changing so much each day and I do not want to miss one second. My head understands that it is sensible for me to get back to work and close out the school year but my heart is aching! I know that I am truly blessed with the amount of time I have been able to spend with him. I am thankful that it's only for four weeks and then it will be summer break, although with AMSTI and getting my classroom ready, it's only about 6 weeks of a true break.
We are heading to the beach next Saturday with Katy, Luke, and Harper. We are all so excited! I'm counting down the days!
Monday, April 6, 2009
It's a well known fact that I can't spell. My parents laughed at me when I said I wanted to be a teacher because they said that I would have to learn how to spell! I will admit that I usually don't slow down enough to go back and reread my blog posts either.
Apparently, I must start doing that. I need to say that I am not trying LOOSE weight, but rather, I am trying to lose weight!
Thanks to my anonymous dear friend for helping me out!!!
Friday, April 3, 2009
Today is your four month birthday and I just can't believe it! These four months have been full of joy, excitement, and at times, lots of stress. We found out on April 5 last year that we were pregnant with you. Daddy and I hated the ten days we had to wait to find out to find out if we were going to be parents! Your daddy was going to the Masters in Georgia and mommy got the call from the doctor's office around 3. It was torture waiting on daddy to get home late that night to tell him the wonderful news! I have never felt so much joy and excitement in my life!
We have loved watching you grow. (and grow and grow...You weigh 18 pounds now!) You are our little chunky monkey! Your smile melts our hearts. I love watching you smile when your daddy walks into the room. We pray that you will continue to grow into a strong, healthy and happy little boy. We can't imagine life without you!
Love forever and ever,
Mommy and Daddy