Sunday, February 22, 2009

Just call him Norm!

We have an extra lot behind our house that came with the purchase of our home. It has a large metal workshop that Chad has decided to turn into a wood working shop. He has an an uncle that has lots of tools and he can build anything. His uncle moved to Mississippi and he could not take all of his tools so he gave some to Chad. Chad and also bought a few small tools to get started. Chad's ultimate goal is to be able to make cabinets. We want to build a house one day and he wants to build the cabinets for our home. 
He also wants it to be a hobby that he and Parker can do together as Parker grows up. Chad's first project was to b
uild a toy chest for Parkers toys. He built the box and painted it. He used chalkboard paint on the front and it think that it's so cute!!

Our sun room is going to be a play room for Parker. We think it's going to be great to have a place to keep all of the toys so there won't be so many in the house!!
His second project was to build a shadow box. Chad hit a hole in one playing golf last  year. There was a little write up in the paper. He put that in there and the ball and all of the other things that went with the hole in one. The shadow box turned out great!! It cost him like 10-15 dollars to build it. I would've been lots more to buy at Hobby Lobby!!

He's just so handy!! :)



11 comments:

"The Activist" said...

Who's Norm? And Chad, I am first in line for something cute from the workshop...well, maybe behind Jules.

I'm proud of you for working the dream!!

"The Activist" said...

and jim wants to know who Norm is too - and so does Ju.

Julie Greenhaw said...

You know Norm Abram. He's the guy on TV from the Yankee Workshop. I guess you didn't grow up with your dad watching that show like I did...:)

Melodie S. said...

I was wondering about Norm too. I immediately thought of Cheers. The toy chest is great and it is wonderful you will have a room devoted to storing all the toys.

Katy said...

I just laughed out loud. Of course, I know who Norm is because my mother used to watch This Old House on PBS.
Chad did a great job. He'll have to take Luke out to the shed for a little man time.

Julie Greenhaw said...

I knew I could count on Katy to know. Yes, my dad watched This Old House constantly....I think he secretly wanted to be him! Yea, Chad and Luke can just "bond" for hours out there!

Julie said...

I didn't know about Norm either. HA! Chad did a great job! I had no idea that he wanted/could do all that. Very talented!

Julie said...

Forget Norm, that's Bob Vila status!
-Jud

The Chandler Babies said...

That is so sweet and cute!!

Caroline Bilstein said...

Wow, I'm impressed! His stuff turned out really good! Let us know when he starts to build discount furniture and things for his friends :)

Melodie said...

Impressive!! I love the toy chest with the chalkboard front. So creative!! I'm already thinking about things for Callan's room!!