Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A day I never want to repeat!

Parker is eight weeks old today and it has not been a good day. Parker woke up at 6:15 this morning, and like every other day, I gathered his medicine and went to feed him in the rocking chair in the den. Halfway through his feeding, I always stop and give him his Zantac. After I gave him a full dose, he spit some out. I immediately noticed that the spit up was red. The Zantac is not red so I looked at the bottle and I realized that I had done something terrible. I gave my sweet baby Chad's cough medicine. I screamed for Chad and we rushed, threw him in the car, packed a bag and drove to the hospital. We called poison control on the way and told them what happend. They called ahead to the hospital so they would be ready for us. Parker acted fine but we were scared to death. They decided to admit him for observation overnight. A side effect of a small child getting that dose of medicine is seizures. He's fine now but he slept all day. I feel terrible about what happened. I am just thankful that everything is fine.  We will be discharged in the morning. NOTE TO SELF: ALWAYS CHECK MEDICINE BOTTLE. 

6 comments:

Pam said...

Oh Julie! I am sorry that happened! You are a wonderful mother. Parker is lucky to have you.

Julie Greenhaw said...

Thank you for calling earlier! I love you!

Melodie said...

What a crazy day! I'm so sorry that happened but don't beat yourself up over it. Anybody could have done it. At least you caught it right away. I'm so glad he is okay! You're a fantastic mother!

"The Activist" said...

i think they should put children's medicine in like a yellow bottle, or something so obviously child like. putting all kinds of medicines into the same looking bottles is a dangerous idea. i was talking to my friend last night, and she said this happened to her, and one of her friends. all the bottles look the same, it's an easy mistake. maybe you can invent something to help this. like a different colored lid or something. anyhow, i'm glad he's ok. now you need to rest and be ok! i am trying to get the tapes from traffic control of chad racing down pine street :) ha ha

Julie Greenhaw said...

Well, you would've seen a flying jeep for sure! He had the hazards on too!

Laura said...

Glad little Parker is okay! I know you must've been terrified, but Parker has great parents! Love seeing the pictures of him!!!!