Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Parker is four weeks old today!

I can't believe that my baby is already four weeks old. It's strange, because I can't remember life before him, but the past four weeks have gone by so fast. He was a great sleeper the first two weeks of his life but the third week has been harder. I think that he is hungry and he's not getting enough when he eats, especially the night feedings. He falls asleep during the feeding and then he wakes up about and hour and half later screaming because he's hungry again. I have been pumping so we can give him bottles sometimes. I am lucky because he has adapted well to breast feeding and bottle feeding. We have debated adding a 1 oz. formula feeding after I nurse at night so he will sleep a little better. I am just nervous about doing that. 

He is starting to "wake up" more. At first, he just ate, slept, pee-peed, and pooped but now he is staying awake in between feedings. He has the most beautiful blue eyes. I would do anything for them to stay blue. He's getting bigger and bigger every day. I can really tell that he's gaining weight. He's got the cutest little fat rolls on his legs. Two weeks ago he weighed almost 8 pounds so I am curious to see what he weighs now. He is holding up his head better. He's not near as wobbly. He was like a little bobble head. :) He is constantly stretching. He arches his back, stretches out his arms, and makes this loud squeak sound. We think it's precious! 

Chad and I have gotten out a few times. We are so lucky to have wonderful parents who are DYING to babysit. Chad took me out to eat for my birthday, we went to Sunday School this past Sunday, and we went shopping and ran errands today. It's nice to get out and have a break but we do miss him when we are gone. Chad's parents are coming over from AThens tomorrow night so Chad and I can go eat at Texas Roadhouse. We got some giftcards there and it's Chad's favorite restaurant. We'll probably do a little shopping afterward. I am in this wierd transition with my weight. I am about 7 pounds off from my pre pregnancy weight but my pants are NO where close to fitting so I am still wearing my maternity pants. My regular shirts aren't really long enough to cover the panel so everything looks bad. I am sure that everyone deals with this but I get frustrated everytime I get dressed. 

Nobody can prepare you f or the challenges of motherhood. Everyone says that your life will never be the same and they are right. But it's a wonderful change that we are so thankful for every moment! (Even when he's screaming his head off!!!) 

10 comments:

Julie said...

Yea for Parker! Good luck with the sleeping thing. Luke used to do that some at first. He would wake up a lot. Hopefully Parker will grow out of it soon. He sure is a cutie!

Ashley said...

Parker is precious! I remember when Lane was going through the eating every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It would last about 3 days to a week then go back to normal (growth spurt I guess). I know Parker is blessing your life every day!

Melodie said...

He is so sweet! I can't wait to see him again! It sounds like ya'll are adjusting just as well as everyone else does. Hope it continues to get better!

andrea said...

I know you are an awesome mommy-Parker is so lucky!!! And about the clothes thing-it is such a pain. I would spend 30 min. trying to find something that fit right-and then you will wake up one morning and the pants will fasten again:) Hope to get by soon!!!

Kayla said...

He is just so cute!! The clothes thing will get better. I used to try on every pair of jeans I had every few days and one day the finally fit. It will happen, but it is very frustrating until it does. Oh and don't get rid of your shirts if they don't fit in the bust. I thought there was no way I could ever fit them again, but about 4 months after I quit breastfeeding I was the exact same size and had no shirts!

Julie Greenhaw said...

Thanks about the advice. If I don't quit eating so much I'll never get back into my pants. Since I have been breastfeeding, I have never been so hungry in my entire life.

The Penters said...

Hey Girl, I have a suggestion for you. I nurse Colton during the day and then pump at night and give him a bottle of breast milk right before bed. That way he gets more milk than he would nursing...because the flow is faster and he is less likely to fall asleep on the bottle while eating. It will help Parker sleep longer in between the night feedings.

Julie Greenhaw said...

Thanks for the bottle suggestion. We have tried that and he has slept better the past few nights. He's sleeping for three hours at a time! We actually have also been giving him one ounce of formula with the bottle.

The Bordens said...

Hey, I did both, I know were you are coming from, you just want the best for your child. Holley Ann liked formula better, because she needed more than 2 oz. Hope all is well. Kristi Villarreal Borden

The Bordens said...

Hey,
also it is okay to mix formula with breast milk, but Holley Ann got sick, so I just started giving her formula at 1 month