Monday, December 22, 2008

Parker is almost three weeks old!





Well, I thought that I would post more now that I am a mom, but I haven't found much time. I wonder why??? We have had a great three weeks with Parker. He is changing every day and he's getting some cute little fat rolls. :)  

I haven't had a chance to really update much since he was born so I thought that I would do that now. We found out when we were pregnant that there might be an issue with Parker's heart. Dr. Allen heard an irregular heartbeat for a couple of visits in a row. At first, he didn't say much about it, but as it continued, he because concerned. Of course, the visit when I found out we would have to go see a pediatric cardiologist, was the one doctor's visit that Chad could not make. I freaked out when Dr. Allen was talking to me. I tried to ask questions, but literally I couldn't get a complete thought together. I was so scared. Dr. allen had us to go H'ville a couple of days later and Dr. Isreal did not think it would be a problem. I was still secretly worried but he said that it would correct itself either before he was born or right after and of course thankfully, he was right! The last two or three visits to Dr. Allen, Parker had a regular, strong heartbeat! 

Then on December 3-Here comes Parker!!! My delivery was tough so I had to stay in the Delivery room for close watch overnight so when we finally moved to a regular room Thursday morning, we were exhausted. In the delivery rooms, there aren't beds for hubbys, so he slept in a chair. Bless his heart! We get to our room, try to catch our breath and Dr. Crenshaw begins the morning rounds. Chad and I are thinking everything is great now that my blood pressure and things are under control, but that's when we find out about his heart murmur. She explains what she hears when she listens to his heart. She tells us that it could be two things, one could just be a simple murmur, which is not a big deal, or it could be a VSD (Ventricular septual defect) She said that we hoped it wasn't a VSD. She also tells us that his billiruben level was very high and he would have to stay in the nursery under the lights. This whole conversation with Dr. Crenshaw is about 10 min. and Chad and I are just speechless. She leaves and we both look at Parker and just start crying. We are tired, overwhelmed and now really scared!!! (Parker did break the crying though with a really loud tooting session. It made us smile!)

Because of Parker's jaundice we did stay inthe hospital an extra day, but that ended up being fine. We came home from the hospital on Sat. and we headed off to huntsville on Monday to seeing Dr. Isreal. Chad and I were terrified of a serious problem with his heart. Bless little Parker, we strip him down and start the ultrasound. Immediately, Dr. Isreal says, "Oh yes, it's a VSD." Well, that's what Dr. Crenshaw said we didn't want it to be. We both instantly freak out. I felt weak. But THANKFULLY, as Dr. Isreal studied his heart, he did see a hole but it is a small hole and he feels that it should close up on it's own. NO SURGERY! That was my biggest fear! We will go back to Dr. Isreal when Parker is one to confirm that the hole has closed. 

We are very thankful for our child and we know what a blessing he is. Now, if we can just get him to sleep at night! :)

9 comments:

Amy said...

Parker is absolutely beautiful...or should I say handsome?? :) I'm so glad things went well at the doctor's office and he doesn't have to have surgery. What a blessing! Enjoy your holiday- I know you will.

Kayla said...

Oh Julie, I know how you feel. Jack had a murmur when he was born. He had a small hole but it was an ASD, not a VSD. He also had pulmonic stenosis. Since I do echoes for a living, I was even more freaked out because I knew what the bad possibilites were. Jack's problems had corrected themselves by our six month follow up with Dr.Isreal. We were very blessed. I am sure Parker's will heal on their own also. I will pray for him. I know how scary it is, I fell apart on Dr.Freeman when he told me they were sending us to a cardiologist. And of course Casey had to work that day. I hope all goes well and I will keep ya'll in my prayers.

Julie said...

Thanks for the update Jules. We will be praying for Parker. He sure is cute!

Melodie S. said...

I cannot begin to imagine how scary that would be. Mollie was jaundiced and we had to stay an extra day because of it. Then after we were home Dr. Crenshaw ordered a Bili-Bed for home. I cried just over that. What a blessing to know it will correct itself. Take Care.

Melodie said...

He is so stinking cute! He looks so innocent in that last picture with his shoulders shrugged! So glad to know the doctors think it will correct itself.

Jim said...

Glad the prognosis is good! We'll keep praying for him. Glad he's doing well!

The Chandler Babies said...

Hey girl! I was at Shandas last night and saw the pics she took of all of you and they were GREAT!!!! You need to get a BIG one of the one she is working on of the three of you!!! So Precious!!

Ashley said...

Parker is absolutely precious!! I have a cousin who had a hole in his heart (not sure if it was ASD or VSD), and he is a healthy, successful, 22 year old! I can only imagine how scary you guys must have been! He is a beautiful,perfect baby boy!

Lamm said...

Just to add to the other positive comments, my brother was also born with a hole in his heart. He made a few visits to Vanderbilt, and his doctor there told Mom the same your doctor told you. His hole closed on it's own by the time he was one. Mom and Dad joke that it was his colic and hours on end of screaming that helped his heart grow strong! :) Of course you know that now Christopher is a healthy and strong 20 year old!